lmi

[lmi] New rate-table implementation [Was: Converting numbers in mortalit

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] New rate-table implementation [Was: Converting numbers in mortality tables to and from text]
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 00:40:24 +0000

On 2016-03-19 19:43, Greg Chicares wrote:
[...]
> Therefore, 'actuarial_table.?pp' should be replaced in its entirety after
> thorough testing.

Replacement candidate:
  https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/23/
committed 20160519T0031Z, revision 6603.

I made some superficial changes before committing:
 - smite files with BDFL rod of renaming +/-7 (sign depends on your POV)
 - use regexen instead of substrings in tests of thrown exceptions
     (I strove to escape periods ('.'), but didn't exercise any real
     cleverness in turning these into regular expressions)
 - reformat comments explaining header inclusion (thanks for following
     a style consistent with existing code...but that was Beman Dawes's
     code, which I recently reformatted, so I did the same here)

I clumsily revised one use of the stdout redirector because it seemed
to gobble a useful error message. Over the weekend, I wanted to move
forward experimentally with this patchset before supporting regex tests
of thrown exceptions, so in a temporary copy I replaced substrings in
those tests with full copies of the messages observed. But I pasted one
message incorrectly, and naturally it was the one that got gobbled, so
I wound up with 1607 test successes, one failure, and no idea which of
the 1608 tests had failed. I'm not going to take time away from getting
this patchset committed to look into that any deeper, and I'll blithely
assume that the other redirected test doesn't have this problem.