lmi

[lmi] konsole clipboard stopped working (fixed)

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] konsole clipboard stopped working (fixed)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 12:40:19 +0000

[I've resolved this problem, but pose a question in the last
paragraph.]

Yesterday, copying from konsole to the clipboard stopped working.
Nothing copied from konsole could be pasted anywhere: not into
thunderbird, nor into vim (neither "+P or "*P), nor into konsole
itself. One (only one) of my (many) konsole sessions said:
  QXcbClipboard: SelectionRequest too old
  QXcbClipboard::setMimeData: Cannot set X11 selection owner
A web search for these error messages found many problem reports
over several years, but the most plausible suggestion I saw was
to reboot. (Reboot? Linux??)

Instead of taking that advice, I closed every konsole session,
then opened new ones. The problem disappeared. I guess this
resolution is as good as can realistically be hoped for.

I'm really glad I took the time to port and document the
scripts in
  http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lmi.git/tree/tabs
that I had originally developed for cygwin, which set up the
group of sessions I'm accustomed to. These scripts are clunky,
but tiny and comprehensible, so I prefer them to tmux or gnu
screen.

There is one question I'd like to ask, though. My habit is to
run schroot with identical parameters in each of approximately
five terminal tabs. That seems to work perfectly well, but is
it distasteful for some reason that I'm not perceiving? I have
no wish to keep these sessions isolated from one another;
actually, I want them to work together as though they were one
single chroot. And they do work that way: I can edit files in
one terminal tab and git-commit them in another.