lmi

Re: [lmi] wxWidgets submodules and install_wx.make

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] wxWidgets submodules and install_wx.make
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 15:00:03 +0000

On 2018-02-04 23:49, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 23:19:46 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> On 2018-02-02 17:11, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GC> > [...no longer using tarballs for wx...]
>
>  Yes, I, unsurprisingly, agree with all this. To play the devil's advocate,
> the only possible drawback I see is that you could have previously placed
> all the required tarballs/ZIPs on the local filesystem and then install
> without needing to download anything, which wouldn't be now doable as
> easily. But with Git bundles -- which you also already use -- it should
> still be possible, if really needed.

Cached downloads were really useful in the days when I had a 4 GHz P4 CPU
and a 56K modem: building might have been slower than today by a single
order of magnitude, but downloading tens of megabytes was an overnight
operation that too often failed due to line noise.

They're less crucial these days, but they do still protect against some
problems--e.g., if sf.net is broken again for projects that still use it,
or if corporate "security" blocks some server we need. But nowadays
blocking github would cause a widespread insurrection, and the angry pink
unicorn indicating a github service outage is rarer than sf.net breakage.

Still, github is a single point of failure, but I suppose we could cache
a bare repository from time to time. In fact, we already do that for our
repository of proprietary product parameters--as 'README.schroot' says:

# chroot. For convenience, add a bare repository of proprietary files
# to this directory (after making sure it's up to date):
#   cp --dereference --preserve --recursive /WHEREVER/blessed /srv/cache_for_lmi
#   cp -a /srv/cache_for_lmi/* /srv/chroot/cross-lmi/cache_for_lmi/

> GC> yet we might need to upgrade at any time, so we'd better rewrite
> GC> 'install_wx.make' pretty soon.
>
>  Would you like me to do this or do you prefer to do it yourself?

Let me handle that while you focus on this PDF issue:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2018-02/msg00012.html