lmi

Re: [lmi] PDF generation performance

From: Murphy, Kimberly
Subject: Re: [lmi] PDF generation performance
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:12:19 +0000

Greg Chicares wrote:

> On 2018-02-02 17:17, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> >
> >  While testing the pagination anomaly bug, I couldn't help
> noticing how
> > awfully long PDF generation took for the census used to reproduce
> the
> > problem. With the (optimized) MSVS build, it took ~40 seconds and
> while I
> > didn't measure it exactly with MinGW, it doesn't seem to be any
> faster.
>
> Running the following commands, each followed by loading that file
> and
> pressing Ctrl-Shift-I, the timings noted on the statusbar are as
> follows
> on my machine:
>
> wine ./lmi_wx_shared --ash_nazg --data_path=/opt/lmi/data --
> pyx=only_old_pdf
> 15403 milliseconds
>
> wine ./lmi_wx_shared --ash_nazg --data_path=/opt/lmi/data --
> pyx=only_new_pdf
> 14875 milliseconds
>
> However, because the 'java' msw installer fails here, the "old" runs
> don't actually invoke 'fop'; if they did, the "new" code would
> surely
> be much faster than the "old".
>
> I could probably boot an old version of GNU/Linux where that
> software
> did install, and measure it there; but it's easier to wait until
> Monday
> and ask Kim to run both ways in the same msw environment that end
> users
> have. (That'll also be more accurate, because the "anti-malware"
> suite
> and the hardware will be more representative of typical users.)

Here are my results running the file in the manner similar as end
users:

lmi_wx_shared.exe --ash_nazg --pyx=only_old_pdf
39334 milliseconds

lmi_wx_shared.exe --ash_nazg --pyx=only_new_pdf
19914 milliseconds

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies