lmi

Re: [lmi] Please review commit a929271

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Please review commit a929271
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 23:58:29 +0100

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 22:37:28 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> [There's one idea here that seems compelling, and I'm writing this
GC> to suggest that we pursue it...while still holding the other, less
GC> compelling, idea in abeyance.]
GC>
GC> On 2018-02-02 15:06, Greg Chicares wrote:

GC> >>  What exactly would it test? Just that the PDF creation succeeded? If you
GC> >> remember, we discussed testing the generated PDFs before starting this
GC> >> project but I don't think we found any satisfactory solution for this.
GC> >
GC> > Yes, I'm sure we didn't find a good solution, but maybe we should take
GC> > a fresh look now. Kim told me that some other vendor offers an option
GC> > to generate text files for regression testing, as an alternative to PDF
GC> > files for actual production. We don't know exactly how they do this,
GC> > but perhaps there's a way to make our new PDF code emit flat text as an
GC> > optional side effect. That would enable automated regression testing of
GC> > a PDF file's content only, not its physical layout; but it would still
GC> > be very useful.
GC>
GC> That's the idea that seems compelling.

 I can certainly implement this in a relatively straightforward at our code
level (although it would still take some time). However I should also
mention that it's relatively straightforward to extract the text from the
PDF files that we already generate. And, in fact, uncompressed PDFs (and
it's trivial to either disable compression when generating them with
wxPdfDocument or decompress them afterwards) are also surprisingly
readable.

 So, depending on what exactly do we want to do, outputting text might not
be the best solution. Before starting to do it, it would, IMHO, be better
to clearly understand what are we going to do with the generated text
files. Would you know the answer to this already and, if so, could you
please explain it to me?

 Thanks in advance,
VZ