lmi

Re: [lmi] PDF pagination

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PDF pagination
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 15:33:21 +0100

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:48:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> It seems that, for each ledger type, the same footer is already
GC> used on every page, with the sole exception of a cover page that
GC> has no footer at all.

 Yes. BTW, using different footers or headers for different ledger types is
not really a problem, we need to have separate pdf_illustration sub-classes
for each ledger type anyhow.

GC> Footers are mentioned above. Headers do vary across ledger types, but
GC> they can be made the same for all pages in each ledger type. E.g.,
GC> the 'nasd' headers are already the same (on all pages except the
GC> headerless cover page), with exceptions that we can eliminate:
GC>
GC> 'nasd_header.mst':
GC>     The header is split in two parts, upper and lower one, only to allow
GC>     inserting the title between them, as a couple of pages do. But we still
GC>     provide this "full header" template for the pages that don't have any
GC>     title to make them simpler.
GC>
GC> The title that's inserted in between can be moved after the header,
GC> which then won't need to be split in two parts.

 This would be a nice simplification, I remember being thoroughly tempted
to do just this when working on it, but decided that I'd better reproduce
the existing output as faithfully as possible. Maybe I shouldn't have been
that conscientious just that one time.

GC> Thus, addressing your question quoted above:
GC>   "... If the headers were the same for all the pages ..."
GC> we'll work to make them the same for all pages (though they'll still
GC> differ by ledger type). We won't do that now: it's better to test
GC> everything thoroughly first, before changing such details.

 I agree that it's best to do it like this, but what should be done for the
overflowing explanatory notes? I.e. do we need to fix this before the
headers reorganization?

 Thanks,
VZ