lmi

Re: [lmi] Style guide

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Style guide
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 00:30:41 +0100

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 23:20:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2018-02-24 12:58, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  Seeing the commits changing the names of the member variables made me
GC> > realize that I never finished writing the style guide where I wanted to
GC> > collect all the coding conventions for lmi. However it does contain a few
GC> > useful things already (and probably misses many others, but I have to
admit
GC> > that I started writing it such a long time ago, that I don't even remember
GC> > any more what did I plan to add to it) and I wonder if it could be useful
GC> > to commit it to lmi repository even in its current, unfinished state. To
GC> > give you an idea of what's there, I've created
GC> >
GC> >   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/wiki/Style-guide
GC>
GC> I'd be inclined to commit it immediately, except that...
GC>
GC> > with the contents of this Markdown file.
GC>
GC> ...it's in Yet Another Format. I want to be able to modify it myself,
GC> and I have no wish to learn another markup language. I understand the
GC> argument that this is "Rich Text Format Done Right", but consider me an
GC> intransigent markup counter-revolutionary: please don't object if I
GC> translate it to HTML before the initial commit.

 Oh, no, please, please don't do it. I really hate writing HTML and I just
don't see at all why would you want to make it more difficult to change
this file. If you don't like Markdown (but you do, you just don't know it
yet), let's just forget that I ever said it was in Markdown and pretend
that it's in plain text -- because it's perfectly fine to treat it as such.
And the fact that it gets nicely highlighted in your editor and can be
easily viewed as HTML in the browser would be just a nice side-effect.
So could we please keep it in plain text instead of HTML?

GC> I assume it's an '.md' file. How would I download it?

 You can clone the repository containing Wiki pages at
https://github.com/vadz/lmi.wiki.git or I can just send it you if you
prefer.

VZ