lmi

Re: [lmi] Replacing boost with C++ standard library

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Replacing boost with C++ standard library
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:02:55 +0000

On 2018-02-26 22:02, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:46:26 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> >  I could also resurrect my ancient patch updating the code to use
> version 3
> GC> > (on which C++17 std::filesystem is based) of Boost.Filesystem API
> instead
> GC> > of the version 1 that we use currently, not so much for applying it,
> but to
> GC> > use as a base for the later switch to std::filesystem.
> GC>
> GC> Yes, please!
>
>  I've looked at this and while the original patch still applies more or
> less cleanly, it's not at all enough to build with std::fs, there are many
> more changes needed on top of the ones I had already done. I'll work on
> them, but I'm afraid the resulting patch will end up being quite difficult
> to review just because of the sheer number of changes, even if most of them
> are quite trivial.

Is it that there are only a handful of conceptual changes, but they
affect code in many places in similar ways?

One idea that seems obvious is to keep using namespace 'fs' as an
intermediate step. That occurs on 342 lines. It'll be easy enough
to change it globally to 'std' later.

>  OTOH I don't think it makes sense to ask you to review a patch for
> building with Boost.Filesystem v3 separately, if the goal is to switch
> directly to std::filesystem anyhow, does it?

No, I don't imagine it makes sense to use a later boost version as
a stepping-stone.