lmi

Re: [lmi] perf+wine

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] perf+wine
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 21:26:32 +0000

On 2018-03-06 19:59, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  Unfortunately I failed to understand how does this work. It looks like
> there is some support for Wine in perf -- or for perf in Wine
> [...] but I can't find where does the magic happen nor where are
> the symbols actually supposed to come from... I do feel rather stupid, but
> after spending too much time on this already, I'm afraid I have to abandon
> this.

After spending quite a few hours trying to debug in wine, I've come to
the conclusion that this rabbit hole has no bottom.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#Debugging-Options
| -ggdb ... means to use the most expressive format available

Maybe "most expressive" != "most usable".

>  But there is still the problem with perf not seeing them and not seeing
> the caller graph neither, presumably because of this. This alone makes it
> not very useful for debugging programs running under Wine, which is very
> unfortunate as it's a great tool. But, if you think it's worth spending
> more time on this at all, I probably need to ask for help somewhere because
> I just can't find anything on my own, unfortunately.
Thanks for trying. I don't think it's worth any further effort.

For my part, I don't think I'll be able to use a debugger again
until I build for GNU/Linux natively. Meanwhile, I'll just use
old-school techniques, which did enable me to narrow this problem
down to one particular xsl template application.