lmi

Re: [lmi] "Help" button really does do something

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] "Help" button really does do something
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 13:41:39 +0100

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 02:29:03 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2018-03-06 23:57, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > We already have a "Help" pushbutton on the tabbed dialog. I don't
GC> > remember--does it do anything under native msw? If it never does
GC> > anything, then maybe we should remove it.
GC>
GC> I conjecture that this "Help" pushbutton opens the html user manual,
GC> because when I press it, I see this on the console:
GC>
GC> 00be:err:winebrowser:launch_app could not find a suitable app to open
GC>   L"file:///home/greg/.wine/dosdevices/z:/opt/lmi/data/user_manual.html"

 Yes, another way to see it is to note EVT_BUTTON(wxID_HELP) in
skeleton.cpp in the application class event table, meaning that pressing a
button with this ID anywhere in the program ends up in Skeleton::UponHelp
which does exactly what you think it does (unless the button press is
caught somewhere else before, but a quick "git grep wxID_HELP *~*.xrc"
shows that this is not the case).

GC> Perhaps we should nevertheless remove it, though for a different
GC> reason--namely, that what it does is not useful in context. The html
GC> user mainly describes menuitems (and their corresponding toolbaritems),
GC> which are not accessible while the tabbed dialog is displayed.

 Ideal would be to make it to something helpful, but if it can't be done,
then removing it might indeed be better than showing the top level help
page which is not really useful in this context.

 Regards,
VZ