lmi

Re: [lmi] The 10<E2><81><B9> git-log question

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] The 10<E2><81><B9> git-log question
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 12:07:26 +0100

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 03:17:22 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> This is the 21st century, and utf-8 should just work.

 Yes, this is exactly what I told myself when I used ⁶ and ⁹ in the commit
message.

[...]
GC> Shouldn't 'less':
GC>   $less --version
GC>   less 487 (GNU regular expressions)
GC> be able to figure that out?

 For me it does and, considering this note from less(1):

       If neither LESSCHARSET nor LESSCHARDEF is set, but any of the
       strings "UTF-8", "UTF8", "utf-8" or "utf8" is found in the LC_ALL,
       LC_CTYPE or LANG environment variables, then the default character
       set is utf-8.

it really should work for you too (FWIW my locale is C.UTF-8).

GC> Because I'm sure my locale is utf-8:
GC>
GC> $locale
GC> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
GC> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
GC> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
GC> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
GC> LANGUAGE=
GC> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
GC> LC_COLLATE=C.UTF-8
GC> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
GC> LC_ALL=
GC>
GC> The "Cannot set..." messages are new in "buster". I'm guessing
GC> that they're a schroot issue, because my notes say:
GC> | neither the chroot's nor the host's /etc/default/locale is
GC> | sourced by schroot, which strives to set as few environment
GC> | variables as possible.

 So does "git log" show the non-ASCII characters correctly outside of
chroot? If it does, then I think you need to make en_US.UTF-8 locale
available inside it too.

 Regards,
VZ