lmi

Re: [lmi] Group-quote PDF: whitespace changes, and enhancement

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group-quote PDF: whitespace changes, and enhancement
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 22:34:19 +0100

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 18:07:18 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Easier way to reproduce:
GC>
GC> wx_test --ash_nazg --data_path=/opt/lmi/data --pyx=only_new_pdf
GC>
GC> pdf_census: started
GC> pdf_census: ERROR (Assertion failure: A message box "Not enough space for
all fixed columns: 136 more pixels needed. [file
/opt/lmi/src/lmi/wx_table_generator.cpp, line 251] " was shown unexpectedly.
[file /opt/lmi/local/include/wx-3.1/wx/testing.h, line 427, in
ReportFailure()].)

GC> pdf_illustration: started
GC> pdf_illustration: ERROR (Assertion failure: A message box "Not enough space
for all fixed columns: 136 more pixels needed. [file
/opt/lmi/src/lmi/wx_table_generator.cpp, line 251] " was shown unexpectedly.
[file /opt/lmi/local/include/wx-3.1/wx/testing.h, line 427, in
ReportFailure()].)

 I can confirm that I see this too with the MinGW-built binary. I still
have no idea why don't I see it in the MSVC build and I'd like to find it
out, but this is not the most pressing issue.

 The real problem is that there is just no magic way of making the message
above disappear, other than by reducing the columns widths (and, maybe,
margins, to make them even narrower than they used to be before). Note that
the number in the error message is misleading because it doesn't take into
account the possible reduction in the margins sizes which is ~100px for the
widest tables, so the overflow is not that big. But we still need to
sacrifice something here, be it the width of some columns (if any of them
don't need to be as wide as they're now), left and right page margins or
the inter-column margins (to an even greater extent than we already do).

 What would you prefer?
VZ