lout-users

Re: PostScript to ASCII

From: Lar Kaufman
Subject: Re: PostScript to ASCII
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 12:34:20 -0500

> In view of Jon's very convincing mail, looks like I'll have to
> write an ASCII back end for the next version (sigh).  This is
> not a promise, although it might become one later.

Very useful, I should think.  I use gtroff -a to get
groff-formatted books into textbook ASCII output.  (We make
these available for browsing from braille consoles, etc.)
By textbook ASCII, I mean that non-ASCII characters are
represented by symbol strings (bullet represented as <bu>,
dagger footnote symbol represented as <dg> etc.) and the
ASCII text breaks pages in the same place the PostScript
document would (including respecting the page breaks forced
by graphics).  Works well, except it trashes tables pretty
badly.

-lar

Lar Kaufman, Digital Library Editor            email:  address@hidden
O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.                  voice:  617-354-5800
90 Sherman Street                          facsimile:  617-661-1116
Cambridge, MA 01240 USA          personal email: address@hidden