lout-users

centering 2 objects in fig package

From: C. Wesseling
Subject: centering 2 objects in fig package
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 15:07:05 MET

Dear Lout users,

The problem I have is that I want to centre some text in an @Fig figure.
I want to create a FIXED SIZE frame of 3 times the font size and a text
object of VARYING SIZE that is put exactly in the middle of the frame.
In other words the centre of the frame object and text object must be
identical.

Is this possible in the @Fig package?

The thing I do now is putting a best guess co-ordinate (here 0.15,0.4)
depending on the number of characters and the current font.

@Fig
{
  @Square
  margin{0c}
  linewidth{0.5 pt}
  @Frame{3f @High 3f @Wide}
  // X**0.15++Y**0.4 @BaseOf A::{text1}
}

Alternatively I could  use the @Graphic escape route and use the
the PostScript stringwidth operator. But I have a feeling that it should
be possible in standard Lout.

Thanks in advance,
 Cees Wesseling              | PO BOX 80.115   | email: address@hidden
 Dept. of Physical Geography | 3508 TC Utrecht | phone: (+31) 30 532768
 University of Utrecht       | the Netherlands | fax:   (+31) 30 540604