lout-users

Lout Version 3 update

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Lout Version 3 update
Date: Tue, 09 May 1995 08:20:26 +1000

This message is being sent to everyone on my private Lout mailing
list, and also to the public Lout mailing list.  If you don't want
to receive such messages, let me know and I will delete your name.

I have placed the following files in my ftp directory, which is
ftp.cs.su.oz.au/pub/jeff as usual:

    lout.3.03.tar.gz              Basser Lout Version 3.03
    lout.3.03.user.ps.gz          User's Guide (PostScript)
    lout.teq.1.0.tar.gz           TeX fonts version of @Eq
    lout.eiffel.1.0.tar.gz        Eiffel program printing
    lout-3.02-to-3.03.gz          Diff file from 3.02 to 3.03

These are sneak preview versions of the forthcoming release of
Basser Lout.  If you are looking for a reliable, stable version
you are better off to wait until the official release, which will
be denominated Version 3.04.  I will inform you when it arrives.

The sneak preview version has a number of bug fixes and enhancements,
notably the following:

    List items and displays will now break across pages
    Underlining and small capitals are done properly
    Margin notes
    ANSI C
    Optional TeX fonts version of @Eq equation formatter
    Optional Eiffel program printing
    More flexible setup file options for references
    Better index symbols, with page number ranges and entry merging
    Quick reference guide
    Symbols that support programs that produce Lout output

If you've been involved in any of these changes I would very much
appreciate it if you would install the sneak preview version right
away, and let me know how it goes.

I've included a diff file from 3.02 to 3.03.  I'm new to this so
please let me know if it doesn't work out.  My ftp directory also
now has a README file explaining what all the files are.

I want to make Version 3.04 portable to as many operating systems
as I can.  To this end I have done some things already (ANSI C,
short file names), but I need the help of people who are willing
to test Lout on these other systems, report the problems they find,
and work with me to correct them.

As usual, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  Please keep
them rolling in.

Jeff Kingston
address@hidden