lout-users

UK hyphenation

From: Mike Dowling
Subject: UK hyphenation
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:21:23 +0100

I mentioned this to Jeff once before, and I know it's not easy to include
British hyphenation patterns as they are too big for the short ints, and
changing that is obviously a major effort.

All I want to do here, hopefully without appearing too insistent, is mention
that it is still a major issue with me.  As I find American hyphenations
confusing, I've turned off hyphenation altogether.  The consequence for me is
severe; for trivial texts, letters and such, lout will invariably have enough
freedom to make good line breaks without hyphenation.  As a mathematician, this
forces me still to use TeX for mathematics.  To avoid line breaks in formulae,
lout will try if possible to hyphenate words.

Jeff, if you ever completely re-design lout, British hyphenations would be the
first on my list of suggestions for improvements.

Cheers,
        Mike