lout-users

Re: assymetry of {} @Scale

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: assymetry of {} @Scale
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:01:39 -0400 (EDT)

Wow!  Thanks for the incredibly timely reply Jeff!

[ On Thu, July 17, 1997 at 12:36:12 (+1000), Jeff Kingston wrote: ]
> Subject: assymetry of {} @Scale
>
> Scaling to available horizontal space, which is what {} @Scale does,
> happens to be well-defined in Lout because, in Lout, everything is
> inside a galley and every gally has a fixed width.  Scaling to
> available vertical space is rather problematic:  what if the current
> page is half full and the next page is empty, do we scale to half
> page size or give a page break and scale to full page size?  Anyway
> Lout doesn't offer either solution; you can't do it.

Hmmm.... I hadn't thought about it that way.  I see what you mean.

My initial attempts to prove the concept involved using:

        3v @High @VScale @IncludeGraphic ....epsf

> If you happen to know, yourself, how much vertical space is available,
> for example if you want the include to occupy a full page, then

So yes, I do effectively know how much vertical space I want to dedicate
to this kind of graphic and there's always more than enough width in the
current column though I suppose there may be situations I might want to
do what you say is likely the impossible test for fit and fall back on
the normal horizontal {} @Scale if vertical scaling leaves the graphic
too wide.  Oh well -- these

One last query -- it would appear on first glance and visual judgment
that 'v' units survive the rotation and @Scale treats them properly.  Is
this true and likely always to be OK in normal use?

Anyway, your solution works like a charm!  Thanks again very much!

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <address@hidden>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>; Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>