lout-users

Re: Organising large documents

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Organising large documents
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 17:21:46 +0400

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 04:17:41PM +0400, Mike Dowling wrote:

> To: address@hidden

List submissions are to be sent to

                         <address@hidden>.

And while I'm at it - if someome still use <address@hidden> - please
update your mail aliases!

I have bounced you message to the list.

> Suppose you are mainaining notes to accompany lectures, as I do.  A
> section on polyhedra might be included in lectures on linear programming
> as well as non-linear programming, so I would like to simply include in
> if and when necessary.  The trouble is cross references;  a cross
> reference is only of value if the section of text to which the reference
> is referring is included.  Otherwise, some other comment would be more
> appropriate.

> Curently, I cannot do this.  My first question is therefore, is there a
> way of doing this with lout, or does one have to edit the text each time
> to rectify cross references, a tedious task to say the least?

Lout uses magic string "??" for unresolved xrefs, so you can @Case on
it like this

    def @InSection
      left  @DefaultText
      right @SectionNumber
    {
      @SectionNumber @Case {
        "??" @Yield @DefaultText
        else @Yield { in section @SectionNumber }
      }
    }

And in your document:

    ... discussed { elsewhere } @InSection @NumberOf {some.section.tag}.

Of cause, you will still get "unresolved cross reference" messages.

Hope it helps.

SY, Uwe