lout-users

PDF (was: Re: Concrete definition/macro problem, connected with Re: Lout

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: PDF (was: Re: Concrete definition/macro problem, connected with Re: Lout syntax etc.)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:36:17 +0200 (METDST)

> > As you might remember, I've already played around with pdfmark
generation
> > some time ago.  This project is currently on hold due to exams, but I
> > intend to pick it up again afterwards.
>
> Oops.  I do remember.  I'm terribly sorry I didn't mentioned your post
> to the list about your experiments with pdfmark.  My most sincere
> apologies.

No problem!  I didn't mention it because I felt "left out" or something,
but in case someone was interested in working on it.

> [...]
>
> While distiller does compute the page coordinates for the /Rect from
> [0 0 xsize ysize], GSview, unfortunately, is not that sophisticated.
> At least my attempts at generating pdfmark distills correctly, but
> GSview draws the link in a weird place and complains that the target
> for the link is unknown.

Hmm, if GSview operates directly on the PostScript source, I can imagine
that it has some trouble with links, since it doesn't have the tables of
that would be in a PDF.

Normally I'm using Distiller, but I just tried ps2pdf (5.10), resulting in
all link rectangles rendered as filled black rectangles covering the text
:-(  Either ps2pdf or I are must be buggy...

Anyway, it is possible to escape the sandbox, if it's necessary.  But if
you really want to code something, how about the bookmarks (you know,
counting the subordinate elements) :-)

--
Michael Piotrowski                         <address@hidden>
                              <http://www.linguistik.uni-erlangen.de/~mxp/>