lout-users

Re: Question: Galleys

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Question: Galleys
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:08:28 +0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 08:02:09AM +0200, Dominikus Herzberg wrote:

> and is not what I've expected: The galley appears _after_ the comma! Only
> when I add a @OneCol preceding @Galley I get the expected result. Same
> applies to @GalleyTarget.
>
> What's going on here? Is this the normal rule how galleys are resolved
> (using Lout 3.12)?

It seems that lout is confused about the juxtaposition of a galley
(receptive symbol) and another word if the concatenation operator
preceding the galley is the `&' (but not any other).  E.g

    X &@SomeGap  @Galley{word}

is treated as if `word' is juxstaposed to the `X', i.e.

    X{word} &@SomeGap @Galley

Running lout with -dpg shows in particular:

    gp: PrintWord(goes, at h = ..., v = ...)

Where the word `goes' is before the galley and the comma is after the
galley.

To fix the problem it's sufficient to put an explicit `&'
concatenation between the galley and the juxtaposed word.  E.g.:

    def @GalleyTarget
    { The galley goes @Galley & , whow! }

The @OneCol also helps since there's no longer any word immediately
(in the sense of `&'-concatenated) preceding the galley that the
following word can tack to.

Also note, that { Slope } @Font @Galley, works as expected as well
(i.e. comma is italicized).

It seems like a minor bug to me.