lout-users

Re: Problems with Polish letters

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Problems with Polish letters
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:07:55 +0400

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 11:32:01 +0200, Ian Carr-de Avelon wrote:

> > Use TimesCE Base et al.  Look at data/latin2.ld - it defines
> > latin2 fonts with CE suffix.
>
> a) where is latin2.ld? it didn't come with lout.latin2.2.0 or
> lout 3.17 (slected as it is "The official stable version" on
> http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/

You need the latest version (3.23) to use glyph composition feature I
was referring to.

> > But be warned that unless you have fonts with real latin2 glyphs you
> > will need to tweak font/*+ files to add composites for polish letters.
> > It seems that those extra metrics were sumbitted by a Czech person, so
> > they cover only portions of latin2 necessary for Czech.
>
> Can you explain what these fonts do, please?

Glyph composition is a feature introduced in 3.21.  E.g. you need
'sacute' for Polish, but Adobe's font (i.e. the font in your printer)
do not have a precomposed glyph for 'sacute', but they have glyphs for
's' and for 'acute' accent.  Lout can compose 'sacute' from 's' and
'acute' and the rules of composition for font font/FOO are specified
in a separate file, conventionally named font/FOO+.

> > The 2) is particularly important.  Consider poor fellow who can view
> > his 200+ pages thesis ok - but when he sends the job to the printer he
> > suddenly gets his thesis with all those characters dropped.
>
> I suppose this depends how the printer is setup. For me, the most
> important thing is that the files print properly on PS printers and
> show in Acrobat reader. Obviously if I can display in X with gs, that
> is handy too.

That's exactly what I'm referring to - printer fonts don't have those
extra glyphs present in fonts shipped with GS, so relying on GS can
lead to unpleasant surprises when you go to the print shop.

> If your advice is to use "Adobe's native fonts", is there somewhere
> where I can download them from?

No - I was pointing out that I use Adobe's fonts with GS to make it
more "printer-like" w.r.t. the set of features available.

You can buy fonts from Adobe and they are also shipped as part of
other products.  On my Solaris boxen Adobe's 14 come with the system.
They are also shipped with Acrobat Reader 3.x (4.x is PDF 1.3 and they
use TimesNewRoman and Arial instead of Times and Helvetica).  BTW, I'm
not sure if it's legally ok to use those fonts with other PS preview
apps, like GS (e.g. CJK fonts for Acrobat Reader 4 are specifically
"for use only with Acrobat Reader 4.0; they cannot be used with other
applications.").

SY, Uwe