lout-users

Re: Parallel text on two pages

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Re: Parallel text on two pages
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:12:30 +0200 (MET DST)

On 22 Aug 2001 address@hidden wrote:

> > But across-pages-alignment seems to be much harder.
>
> I'm not really a louter, but I read this list with interest.
>
> Dare I suggest a slightly different approach to the solution of this
> problem?
>
> Create *two* books with the text of language A on even pages in the first
> and the text of language B on odd pages in the second. All other pages
> are blank.  I think lout can do the blank pages?
>
> Then simply collate the even pages of the first book and the odd pages of
> the second book and bingo, you have your parallel-text!

No, the problem is, that languages do not use the same amount of
words for the same contents of the text.

So the paragraphs should be related, so that the reader has
all related text in a good readble way.
If the paragraphs are not of same length, this could confude
the reader, even if pages are related (and they are only at
related at begin of the pages.)

Ciao,
   Oliver