lout-users

bug: postscript page numbering comments on blank pages

From: slomium
Subject: bug: postscript page numbering comments on blank pages
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:04:03 +0000

Jeff,

I'm attempting to describe a bug in the postscript comments produced when
using the book format.

When using the book format, I have my document configured to start chapters
on odd pages.  This means that some chapters will have an absolutely blank
(no headers or anything) page at their end.

The problem is that, in the following %%Page comments (see below), grepped
from the lout-produced postscript, there are some "?" characters in the
comments.  This only happens on the blank pages at the end of chapters.

%%Page: i 1
%%Page: ii 2
%%Page: iii 3
%%Page: iv 4
%%Page: v 5
%%Page: vi 6
%%Page: vii 7
%%Page: viii 8
%%Page: ix 9
%%Page: x 10
%%Page: xi 11
%%Page: xii 12
%%Page: xiii 13
%%Page: xiv 14
%%Page: 1 15
%%Page: 2 16
%%Page: 3 17
%%Page: ? 18
%%Page: 5 19
%%Page: 6 20
%%Page: 7 21
%%Page: 8 22
%%Page: 9 23
%%Page: ? 24
%%Page: 11 25
%%Page: 12 26

When I talk about pages numbers in this paragraph, I will refer to the left
hand number from the postscript comment, that is, the one (possibly) printed
on the page.  In my contents, pages ii, vi, and viii, xii, and xiv are all
completely blank and the postscript comments are correct.  In my document,
though, page 10 has incorrect postscript comments.  It is at the end of a
chapter.

This problem with the comments is a problem when I use products like Acrobat
distiller.  The pages with "?" in the page number comments are assigned
incorrect page numbers when using Acrobat reader.  I've been using sed to
correct the "?" marks to their correct values, thus correcting the problem.
It would, of course, be preferable to not have to perform this step.

So, to wrap up, a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave