lout-users

Re: New home for the Lout mailing list [URGENT]

From: Greg A. Woods
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:35:14 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 20:48:37 (+0400), Valeriy E. Ushakov
wrote: ]
> Subject: New home for the Lout mailing list [URGENT]
>
> It's been more then an year since I mentioned I would like to pass the
> list ownership to someone else, but the discussion died out.  I was
> informed recently that the mail system of ptc.spbu.ru will be moved to
> a new host and there will be no SmartList installed on that new box.
> So we urgently need someone who will host the list.  I will pass the
> list of subscribers and the archives.  I can arrange for the old
> address to get forwarded to the new location.

The question still remains -- what's the domain name going to be?

I could have the list running at lists.planix.com, or weird.com, or any
of the other domains I run, immediately.  Just send me the address list
and a suggested host domain.

I could register a new domain immediately, but lout.info is gone
(squatter) since the last discussion, lout.org is sill in use (legit
user), lout.net and lout.com are still in use (more squatters).  Lout.ca
is available, and I could probably get it, but I don't think it's
appropriate for the worldwide Lout users group.

The best choice available today might be "lout-users.info".

Except for .ca new domains only cost me about $10[usd] per year.

lists.planix.com has several advantages over any of the other existing
domains I host on my own home machine (weird.com et al):  GNU Mailman is
installed and running and in daily use, the mailer has slightly less
arduous filtering and policy rules for incoming mail, etc.  Note that
the web page for that host is currently mapped to be the same as
www.wrede.ca, but I think I could change it to point to just the GNU
Mailman front-end without any problems.

If I ran the list on my home machine (weird.com, robohack.ca,
robohack.planix.com, weird.ca, etc.) then I'd just do the list
maintenance manually -- installing GNU Mailman or any other listserv is
too much of a waste of effort for this list.  :-)

A new domain could be set up on either the planix.com server or on my
home server within a few days.  Either location could easily host the
main web pages too.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.