lout-users

Re: A browser wanted which uses pdfmark

From: Barrie Stott
Subject: Re: A browser wanted which uses pdfmark
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:48:40 +0100

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:16:13PM -0400, Kevin Cole wrote:
> Barrie Stott wrote:
>
> > Thanks for this, Uwe. If I can find it and if it's any use, I'll
> > report back to the list.
>
> Dunno about the GTK port, but gsview is pretty easy to find.  Just
> look for ghostscript and it's on their main site.  (I assume the GTK
> would be on Sourceforge if it's not in the same place as the Windoze
> version.)

You're right. GSview was easy to find with google and it compiled
straight out of the box. However, it didn't work because I need to
download more stuff. Since this will not happen for at least a couple
of days if at all, I thought I would mention what I have found in case
someone else is interested in gsview. I should stress that I am
talking about gsview for linux, not Windows:

It requires AFPL ghostscript rather than the GPL version I currently
use. My preference is for free software and AFPL is not.

For gsview, AFPL ghostscript needs to be compiled a particular way
(which is different from the way my Debian binary gs-afpl is compiled)
to generate the `shared object' libgs.so which means I would need
source for gs-afpl. Not difficult but an added complication. (I did
not know I would need a different ghostscript when I obtained gsview.
What else will I need to get the new ghostscript to work? And would
my 2 ghostscripts exist happily together?)

The initial Readme.htm says about the linux version: `X11 GSview is
written by a novice at X Windows programming. It might have serious
problems.' Not what you might call a ringing endorsement! Another
document said that `pdfmark link support is crude' and pdfmarks are my
only reason for considering gsview.

Everything is written from a Windows perspective, so much so that bits
which appear to be general do not apply to linux. For example, the
following do not exist for linux: gsview-help, pstotext and epstool.
Even so, the X11 installation section instructs the user where to copy
them.

Help is non-existent from within the program; the help files do exist
though.

These are my initial thoughts on a program which is not working. My
view of it could be completely different if it were working but, at
present, I don't know if it is worth the effort to find out.

Barrie.