lout-users

Re: q on rendering outlines

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: q on rendering outlines
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:44:09 +0200

Hi,

Patrick Giagnocavo <address@hidden> writes:

> One of the challenges is that an outliner can be an arbitrary number
> of levels deep, however most of the Lout markup that would seem to
> apply only goes down to the sub-sub-subsection, which is 4 levels deep.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation, or better yet, has anyone written
> anything to handle this case?

I also use a piece of software that has a back-end that generates Lout
documents.  The input (front-end) document has typically a 4-level deep
structure (from `chapter' to `subsubsection').  When the target Lout
format has fewer structures available (e.g., when using `report'), then
it uses a fall-back method for the deepest structures:

  @LP
  @B { This is the subsubsection title. }
  This is the subsubsection text...

Of course, this method is sufficient because I expect documents more
than 3- or 4-level deep to be quite rare.  For detailed outlines, I'm
not sure such a strategy would suffice...

Thanks,
Ludovic.