lout-users

Re: Programming Lout Backends

From: Christoph Angerer
Subject: Re: Programming Lout Backends
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:00:11 +0100

Thank you all for the fast responses! And thank you Jeff for your honest discouragement of trying to write a backend:)

For the interested: PDFs are not the best solution for ebook readers, because it's not a "flowing" format like HTML is. So if one wants to have a bigger font she has to zoom in which means the page doesn't fit on the screen. And scrolling is a pain on those devices due to their horrible ~1 sec screen refresh rate.

For the record: It seems to me that a combination of texinfo and docbook is pretty much what I was looking for: use texbook as the novice-user-input format (because it is easy to use and one doesn't have to write annoying XML by hand), translate this to docbook (through the standard GNU makeinfo tool), and use docbook for generating a variety of documents. Since publishers like o'Reilly use docbook I expect that they will keep the tools up to date to target the important devices (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/linux/2002/11/01/awk3.html )

So thank you all again and have some nice holidays!
Christoph