lout-users

Re: Book document and no page breaks

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: Book document and no page breaks
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:30:56 +0000

On 2009-01-05, Thomas Weuffel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to switch from LaTeX to Lout. At the moment I am checking Louts
> capabilities. So I created a new document (book) and run Lout. The
> resulting postscript file contains all the content, but no pagebreaks.
> The whole document is one large page. I am using OS X and installed
> Lout (Version 3.38) via Macports and I open the postscript file via
> Preview (which converts it to PDF). Am I missing something?
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas

I use book format all the time with no problems so I think you've
probably missed something. The structure of a book should be something
like this:

    @SysInclude{tbl}
    @SysInclude{book}
    # other system includes
    @Book
        @Title{My Book}
    //
    @Include{introduction.lout}
    @Include{chap1.lout}
    @Include{chap2.lout}

The above would be in main.lout and the structure of introduction.lout
would be:

    @Introduction
    @Begin
    @LP
    Blah blah
    @End @Introduction

and of chap1.lout (etc):

    @Chapter
        @Title{My First Chapter}
    @Begin
    @LP
    Blah blah
    @End @Chapter

You can do the whole lot in a single file if you prefer, but I find
breaking it down by chapter like this is helpful. Notice also that every
paragraph must be preceded by @LP or @PP.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy