lout-users

Re: Arguments before or after command?

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Arguments before or after command?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 07:52:56 +1000

I'm not sure that I understand this proposal completely, but
anyway here are a couple of questions:

(1) Does it allow "x sup 2" (or rather, "x \sup 2")?  If not,
equation writers will be unhappy.

(2) It may overload white space too much.  Remember, in documents
white space between objects is used to indicate lists of words
that go to make up a paragraph.  This is too well-entrenched to
be changed.  Lout is willing to tolerate its use for something
else immediately adjacent to a symbol with a left or right
parameter, but not elsewhere.  I'm very doubtful about trying
to import traditional functional language syntax into document
formatting.  When you write say

  f p1 p2 p3 p4

there is no syntactic clue given as to where the parameters
of f end and the following words begin.  This is true of
Lout as well, but the problem is less bad because at
worst there can be one positional parameter before f and
one after f.

Jeff