lout-users

Galley/macro problem

From: Francesco Ariis
Subject: Galley/macro problem
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 01:50:20 +0100

Hello lout users,

(this is longer to explain than to display. tl;dr: I attach 2 files,
run lout withose, why does the non-galley section looks different from
the galley'd one?)

    I am teaching myself lout galleys but I am not sure I understand
how they flow. Today I wanted to convert:

    @DP
    @B { this is the bold part: } { This is the story of peter
    and the wolf, a musical poem in which every instrument ... }
    @DP

into something more structured, like:

    @JE @DateDesc { this is the bold part } { This is the story of peter
    and the wolf, a musical poem in which every instrument ... }

So I opened my format file and wrote

    def @JEGalley { @Galley }
    def @JEInto into { @JEGalley&&preceding }
                named @DateDesc { insert-date-here }
                right description
    {
      @B { { @DateDesc }{ : } } description
    }
    macro @JE { @DP @JEGalley @DP @JEInto }

The two do not match when rendered in a .pdf though: using @JE makes
the following text aligned ad the end of the @B section.

Please help me understand: why does this happen?
-F