[Ltib] Re: Perl download from bitshrine is broken, perl won't build

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: [Ltib] Re: Perl download from bitshrine is broken, perl won't build
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:26:51 +0000

Hi Mark,

Regarding: perl-5.8.0-Glob.pm.simple-2

I'd not forgotten about this, it just took a while to go through ISP
support iterations.

Here's what has happened.  I looked into it and it turns out that the
ISP (globat) use Apache and the way it is set up, any file that includes
a '.pm' in the filename (anywhere) will cause the server to try to
execute it.  This fails and it doesn't return an error, it actually
returns an html file that contains a message about a 500 internal server
error.

Despite a number of attempts at asking, I didn't get a satisfactory
reply from the ISP's support.  I thought that it should be possible to
have a local .htaccess file to change this behaviour.  Unfortunately I'm
not an ace at Apache config files, so I don't know how to fix this.

As a work-around I've copied the original file to one called:
perl-5.8.0-Glob_pm.simple-2 which gets downloaded okay.  I've also
updated the reference from perl.spec.

Also I changed bin/Ltibutils.pm so that if a .md5 file exists, but the
verification fails, it now causes ltib to die, rather than just warn.
This should help catch anything like this in the future.

Regards, Stuart