Re: [Ltib] XFree86 package

From: Peter Barada
Subject: Re: [Ltib] XFree86 package
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:54:49 -0500

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 16:39 +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:

> I hope to do a complete re-merge update before the end of September, but
> that depends a lot on how my other project progresses.  If you're using
> an ISO image from Freescale, you already have these updates.  The reason
> I haven't merged out is because I want to do some major re-structuring
> before I do so and didn't want to confuse people with 2 big updates.
> The purpose of the re-structure is to move all the BSP specific parts
> (kernel spec files mostly) into the config/platform/<target> directory.
> This would separate out the LTIB tool from the platform part completely.
> The idea being that maintenance is easier and "writing a new BSP" is
> simplified to just adding a new directory with a few files.

I was going to ask if you also intend to have u-boot spec/patch files in
the config platform directory as well, but as I was thinking about it,
instead, can you generalize things so that the config/platform/<target>
directory is searched first for spec/patch files
before /opt/freescale/pkgs and dist/lfs-5.1?

This would allow collecting *all* the changes necessary to support a new
platform/BSP into the config/platform/<target> directory.  It also would
allow a BSP to supply not only brand new packages, but also patches and
spec files for system packages.  As an example, on a board I'm working
with, it has a video chip that is little-endian with a processor that is
big-endian.  To complicate matters, its alpha verison has 3/3/3 pixels
in a 16-bit word, soon to change to 5/5/5.  This requires changess to
microwindows to support this pixel layout as well as pixel access (has
to be 32-bit access to modify just a 16-bit pixel, odd pixels in most
significant short of a 32-bit word, even pixels in least significant
short of a 32-bit word).  Rather than having patch files that may affect
other targets, my changes would be isolated to just my target.

--
Peter Barada <address@hidden>