Re: [Ltib] Multiple .dts files

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Multiple .dts files
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 10:22:46 +0100

Hi Mariano,

The .dts file in arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ is part of kernel sources, these are separately maintained to the LTIB config/platform/*/ files.

From what I can see, the BSP developer has created a number of .dts files to work for a number of different hardware boot scenarios. When LTIB builds the kernel it does:

    for DTC_NAME in $DTC_NAMES
    do
       _create_dtb_file....
    done

This means they end up with one kernel that can be booted using different .dtb files to cope with variations of hardware. I suspect one of those is the same as the one described by the kernel-sources default .dts file.

Regards, Stuart

Goluboff wrote:
Why are there multiple .dts files on a MPC8313 LTIB BSP?
I see a .dts file at arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ and another that is almost identical (although slightly different) at config/platform/mpc8313erdb/dts/ Is one of them not used? What is the purpose of each? Thanks! Mariano