[Ltib] How to use LTIB w/o root?

From: Grant Edwards
Subject: [Ltib] How to use LTIB w/o root?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:46:01 -0500

I'm attempting to get a Freescale MPC8313 eval board up running
a test application. LTIB appears to be the only linux
distro/framework supported by Freescale, so I downloaded LTIB
from Freescale. During installation it demands that it be
able to run RPM commands as root.

Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but that's just not kosher.

None of the other embedded linux build systems I've used (e.g.
uclinux-dist, OE) required root privledges to do builds. I'm
not partcularly comfortable granting root access to Freescale
just to evaluate one of their products.

Am I going to have to set up a virtual machine just for running
LTIB?

--
Grant Edwards