Re: [Ltib] Re: Can't build both cross-gdb and gdb-server for target?

From: Grant Edwards
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Re: Can't build both cross-gdb and gdb-server for target?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:19:02 -0500

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 09:26:39AM +0100, Stuart Hughes wrote:

> You can built cross-gdb/gdbserver at the same time (incantation).  Make
> sure you have the following selections when you run ./ltib -m config:
>
> [*] gdb
> [ ]   gdb to run natively on the target
> [*]   cross gdb (runs on build machine)
> [ ]     XML support
> ---   gdbserver to run natively on the target
>
> Selecting 'cross gdb' forces the selection of gdbserver (that's what the
> --- means).

Ah, thanks.  I guess I never knew that's what --- meant.

> So far as running gdb goes, you need to send a test case and details for
> the target and version of LTIB you're using.  If this is a Freescale BSP
> you may need to get support from them as it could well be a BSP specific
> problem (gdb thread debugging has worked in the past).

It's good to know that it's worked in the past.  Thread
debugging using gdbserver seems to be extremely fragile (on all
target architectures).  I spent most of the day Friday trying
to get thread debugging working with an ARM9 target, and I made
zero progress.  There doesn't appear to be any documentation on
either how thread debugging with gdbserver is supposed to work
or on how to get it to work.

--
Grant