Re: [Ltib] FireWire drivers on PPC

From: B.J. Buchalter
Subject: Re: [Ltib] FireWire drivers on PPC
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 18:55:14 -0400

On Jul 9, 2009, at 4:03 PM, B.J. Buchalter wrote:

Has anyone gotten the FireWire (1394) drivers included in the linux kernel compiled in and up and running on PPC HW with LTIB?

I have configured the kernel to include the drivers, but they don't appear to be loading (nothing in dmesg) even thought the FW card is being identified on the PCI bus.

Again, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

So, it turns out that if I kmodprobe the ohci driver from the command line, it does load properly and the firewire driver and devices are loaded and created -- which is great!

I was expecting that the device would be discovered during kernel boot. I had originally built the drivers into the kernel (not as modules) but that did not work either. With them built as modules, I can manually make the driver load, but again, I was expecting them to be detected and automatically loaded.

Is there any specific stuff that I need to enable for hotplug detection (although the PCI card with the FW OHCI chip is not really a hot plug -- it just doesn't seem like the infrastructure to map the driver to the device is running.)

Any ideas about enabling hotplug detection and automatic driver loading for PCI devices?

TIA!

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
http://www.mhlabs.com