Re: [Ltib] Question on adding device nodes

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Question on adding device nodes
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:01:01 +0100

Hi Ted,

I recall a discussion about /dev/rtc, what's in the device_table.txt (10,135) is right I think. So the best thing is probably to leave that and fix the breakage in the driver as you say.

device the merge won't work (easily) as you can only locally make these as root.

Your best bet is to put a 'mknod' script into rc.local or similar. If your driver dynamically creates it's devices and populates sys, you can do something like that in dist/lfs-5.1/sysconfig/sysconfig.spec (line 211), except put this into an rc.local (or similar script) in a merge/etc/... directory.

Sorry it's a mess, but I hope it helps.

Regards, Stuart

Ted Marshall wrote:
Partly, it is for my own driver. I was going to just piggy-back on the existing mechanism.

In addition, I am working with the MPC8313E-RDB BSP from Freescale and discovered that in their release for the rev. C board, they changed the RTC driver from 10,135 to 254,0 but didn't change device_table.txt so /dev/rtc wouldn't work. I have to now admit that the proper thing to do is to fix the driver, not the device_table.

So I guess the bottom line is to dynamically add new devices instead of adding them to device_table.txt. Makes sense, though it would be nice to have dev merge in a private device table from the platform directory.

Thanks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Hughes" <address@hidden>