Re: [Ltib] including module in a perl package - Reg

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] including module in a perl package - Reg
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:53:47 +0100

Hi Tina,

There are a few packages that are quite tricky to get to cross compile and unfortunately one of them is Perl.  The reason is that you need Perl to build the module, and the Perl you use should be the one on the target.  The best you can do at compile time (on the host) is to build a host version of the target package and use that.  Using this is okay for simple add-on perl modules, but more complex ones that need compiling of shared libraries (such as DBI) may not be possible.

My recommendation would be to not try to upgrade the Perl package.  Although it's old, DBI has been around for a long time too.  So I'd just find a version of DBI that is the same vintage as Perl 5.8.8.  Once you have this you have 2 options:

  1. Try to get it to cross compile (may not be easy)
  2. Build/install it on the target system.  This assumes it has the horse-power to do this.  You may also be able to use CPAN, but I guess that still needs to do any building, which will require a toolchain on the target.
Regards, Stuart