Re: [Ltib] ppp wget authentication

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] ppp wget authentication
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:59:00 +0100

Hi Mike,

On the authentication stuff, it depends what you mean. If you want to restrict access you could do this on the server side and use Apache "allow from" clauses, another mechanism would be to use one of the HTTP auth methods, basic (which is almost useless) or md5, which isn't bad. The other thing you could do is to use a server side script. For example, the LTIB GPP access is intercepted by mod_rewrite and a script is run, this is used to limit the bandwidth per hour per IP requests. You could do something similar for auth.

I'm a bit wary about adding any auth mechanism into LTIB, because whichever one is put in, it won't be the one user xyz wants, so that will get added and it could all get horribly out of control. However, I've no real objections to adding %ppp_opts etc. It really depends on what you intend to do with them. What kind of auth mechanism did you have in mind?

So far as WGETRC goes, this is another tricky issue. On the one hand I don't really want to prevent people having some control by setting this to some override value that doesn't kill LTIB, on the other hand you're right that potentially bad values could cause it to kill ltibs wgets.

Regards, Stuart