lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] devel vs stable cvs

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: [lwip-devel] devel vs stable cvs
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:03:10 +0200

Hi all

I wonder whether a more conventional model of CVS/release wouldn't be more
appopriate for lwip, seeing that people don't really test devel if they have
another CVS branch.
While many people _do_ tend to keep up with CVS.
I recall the original reason for devel was that Leon did some potentially
invasive changes so he made a separate branch for them. I still think when
something as big happens a branch is welcome to avoid unnecessary trouble but
for most work which has been goin on lately in devel and because it happened at
a slow speed - a few commits a week people could be a lot more helpful provding
feedback on regressions the moment they appear. We already got two such
regressions and devel was only recently been merged
Also the tcp_pcb->ack list bug Karl Jeacle noticed was on devel hence it did
not bother people for months showning that CVS stable is preffered.
What do you think?

Not to mention the confusions merging, and those weird version numbers cause in
CVS.
When savannah will provide something better in this regard like subversion or
arch this will change but this is not the main point.
I really think that dosing the changes and people catching up with them one by
one instead of all at once is going to be better.

Jani