lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] mem(p) allocator change request

From: Kaos
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] mem(p) allocator change request
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:10:48 +0200

My questions might be due to the fact that I'm not familiar
with the refenence to uC/OS-II allocator.

address@hidden wrote:
[snip]

I would like to post the following change request:

Change the memp allocator to accept
externally allocated pools of arbitrary
size and type  blocks.
(inspired by the uC/OS-II allocator...)

I've not completely understood what it is you propose
here. It feels to be in the right direction (from my point
of view), but my question is what you mean with "externally
allocated pools"?
What I would like is to let the stack rely on another (extern)
pool allocator taking care of allocations and freeing of memory
for arbitrary sizes (I use a number of pools with different block
sizes to minimize the waste of unused space per block).

In this scheme each module (like TCP
or SNMP) needs to provide one or more pools.

I don't get this part. Why would each module need to provide pools?

This removes the dependencies on structs
from various pieces of the stack.
Sub allocating the blocks can be done
on a per module basis.

Sub allocate? feels like reimplementing yet another allocator here..?

I'm happy to look into this
(if there are no objections).
It requires some changes in various
bits and is somewhat intrusive.

Great :o)
I've no objections, only productive (hopfully) remarks/questions.

// Andreas