lwip-devel

Re:[lwip-devel] State of the latest efforts to port lwIP to 16-bitDSPs..

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re:[lwip-devel] State of the latest efforts to port lwIP to 16-bitDSPs...
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:17:27 -0400

Jean-Pierre,

I have been working with lwip for 2 months now to port it to the TI C55 DSP
which is a 16 bit DSP. I am using the DSP/BIOS kernel.

I started with version 0.7.1. This version already had some features which
attempted to address the problems with lack of byte addressing in DSPs, but
they didn't solve the entire porting problem.

The biggest problem I ran into was the reliance on byte pointers to access
data in the pbuf records. Also, the memory management code all relied on
byte accesses to memory.

I started my development by using the Win32 port and enabling
multithreading.
After getting the stack to work well with a SLIP connection to another PC, I
redefined the u8_t typedef to be 16 bits and started fixing issues.

The task was much bigger than I had expected. I created a few macros used to
pack bytes received on the serial interface into words and also extract them
again. I had to rework the memory manager to word with word sized quantities
instead of bytes. (Note: this had the added benefit of being able to
eliminate
memory alignment macros).

The changes I have had to make have been extensive, but the core logic of
the
stack code has not been modified.

I now have a version of the stack running of the DSK5510 development board
with
a SLIP network interface.

At this moment I am racing to get ready for a demo in 2 weeks. However, when
I get time in a few weeks, I am going to post the revised code on our
website
along with a description of all of the modifications I had to make.

My hope is that most or all of the changes can be incorporated into lwip and
bemaintained and improved on by the community. Otherwise, I will maintain
our
modified source and pull in updates and bug fixes as they come.

I think the lwip stack would really benefit from being DSP compatible.

Chris Jones
Engenium Technologies
www.engeniumtech.com

====

[lwip-devel] State of the latest efforts to port lwIP to 16-bitDSPs...

----