lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] New pbuf code - pbuf take now implemented

From: lukem . lwip
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] New pbuf code - pbuf take now implemented
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:49:16 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Jani Monoses wrote:
> In this case could you just post the two files to this list? It's easier
> than having us to check out a branch.

I can do that, though doing a checkout is pretty easy... I should clarify
though that it replaces two files with ten (sounds worse than it is).
Basically PBUF_* each get their own files, plus the generic pbuf.c &
pbuf.h file which actually get included. This was done purely for
modularisation and splits the code up into logical units.

> Also we could as well 'integrate' them in lwip HEAD along with the
> original implementation under different names. Since people anyway have
> their own build systems for lwip they can chose whichever they want.
> Temporarily of course until there will be one perfect pbuf impl :)

I would be very happy with this solution as a way to start to get people
comfortable with the new pbuf code.

> Since this is as clean as you say what is stopping you from proceeding
> with performance work you mentioned? That touches other areas of code
> doesn't it?

The only reason is that I prefer to do regular CVS checkins as I go, so it
would be nice to work on a branch --- also makes merging easier later on.

I am going to do the performance work regardless of when the pbuf changes
get merged anyway, because we need them ASAP for an upcoming paper
deadline.

--
Luke