lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Suggestion re ARP

From: David Haas
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Suggestion re ARP
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:28:36 -0400

Something does'nt seem right to me, but I don't have time to check the RFCs. If you stick a host on a busy network with lots of arp activity, but don't actually communicate with any other hosts, your local arp table will still be empty. Try it with a Windows or Linux box. Do an "arp -a" and you will only see arp entries with endpoints your host is communicating with. LWIP should not be listening to random arp packets to be filling its table.

David.

Mountifield, Tony wrote:

The network on which I am testing LWIP is a busy corporate LAN with ten or more
ARP requests broadcast per second.

Since LWIP updates its ARP table with the IP and MAC of the sender for every
ARP Request it sees, it cannot cache the addresses it really needs, for the
host(s) with which it is communicating, for more than a few seconds, and is
consequently making many more ARP requests than necessary.

My suggestion is to have a #if option to control whether or not LWIP updates
its ARP table from 3rd-party requests it sees. Comments?

Cheers
Tony