lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] PPP

From: Per Jolassn
Subject: [lwip-devel] PPP
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:16:48 -0000

Hi out there,

I'm about to implement a small embedded device with an ethernet controller using lwip.

Normally all communication will be done via ethernet.

But I also wonder if it's possible to use the serial port on our device when doing setup/confiuration etc..

If implementing PPP I got some questions.

1) Could this PPP connection run in "parallell" with the normal ethernet communication? Or would it be

easier to startup the device in either PPP or Ethernet mode?

2) How will this work in the "PC" side. Will I be able to connect even if my device don't have an IP (or I dont know it)

3) Will it be simple to setup a PPP connection (on a windows computer)?

I dont want to get alot of support questions on this from our customers.

4) Maybe SLIP is better? I dont know anything about PPP or SLIP.

If 2 or 3 will cause problems I can allways implement my own protocol and an application. But it would be nice if

I could use the same internal webpages both via PPP and ethernet.

Thanx

/Yxan/

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup