lwip-devel

RE : [lwip-devel] testing methods

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: RE : [lwip-devel] testing methods
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:26:35 +0100

Right. In my case, I use two differents applications (based on BSD layer) during tests.

The first one is a very lwIP's specific using only network functions, without really using the processor :

- stack configuration at build time.
- first, I send ping to my lwip's target to check ARP & target's ICMP echo
- ping send from target to several hosts (on my subnet and on others) to test ICMP functions & route with gateway.
- simple dns client to test small UDP send & receive (with SO_RCVTIMEO).
- a syslog sender to test small UDP datagrams.
- a multicast receiver to test IGMP and UDP receives (with SO_RCVTIMEO).
- a simple SMTP sender to test small TCP streams in a half duplex way.
- a simple TELNET connection test to test small TCP connect and/or keepalives and/or in a full duplex way.
- a simple HTTP server to test "larger" TCP streams.
- simple test for SNMP part (just use Net-SNMP).

This is not a "formal" framework (sometimes, I don't do all the tests, but only a part to check a new code).
I sometimes use it with TRACE, ASSERT or DEBUG mode.
Problem, some specific OS functions are used ("sleep", "wait thread", etc...).

The second one is my real application :

- stack configuration at run time.
- Digital Video Compression (so, the DSP is really used and "stressed")
- HTTP/CGI, TELNET, DNS, SNTP, RTSP/RTP, SYSLOG, CIFS, permanent pings, and some others specific ones
- Most of datagrams are in multicast (2x 2Mbps)
- there can be some TCP video streams
- there is possible to upgrade the firmware with datagrams or with HTTP (3MB to upload).

This second is use inside our products. I got ~20 units to use with that tests on duration (to see memory leaks & others).
Yesterday, I see they all crash in the same period of time (in few minutes), and I never got that (but they run during 30 hours).
Two solutions : an external event (electrical or others), or a memory leak or corruption. I search now differences between last builds...

But..., I'm not sure my boss will be ok to provide some parts of the first one, even "AS IS", but if you want, I will try to see with him...

Frédéric BERNON
HYMATOM SA
Chef de projet informatique
Microsoft Certified Professional