lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #19347] netif_add & tcpip_init problem

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #19347] netif_add & tcpip_init problem
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:42:24 +0000

Okay, I see what you are trying to solve - not (necessarily) the initial
netif_adds, but later dynamic ones.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have been doing my netif_add's in the
tcpip_init_done callback.

I would say that rather than having to add extra tests and code in commonly
used code paths, such as tcpip_ethinput/callback, etc. (as Frederic modified
in that patch earlier in comment #2 to address this problem), it is better to
change less frequently used code. So for example, if changes to the netif list
needs protection from access by multiple threads, then it should be protected
by a semaphore (or use SYS_ARCH_PROTECT).

I have a question though - where does the tcpip thread access the netif list?
I didn't think it did.

About the times: I'm sure most developers here have real jobs which means we
can't monitor the lists every second of the day ;-), and we have varying
timezones and working hours (I can usually play with lwIP more in the
evenings than the daytime for example). So we can't be guaranteed to respond
quickly at any particular point. That's all I was meaning really. If
something could be controversial and needs further opinions, then it's better
to wait a bit longer, that's all. And since you've already said your happy
with that, all is well :-).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19347>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/