lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #19347] netif_add & tcpip_init problem

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #19347] netif_add & tcpip_init problem
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:45:06 +0000

About LWIP_NETIF_API (which allow to enable code only when you need this part
of the API), I thought the CHANGELOG file was enough, but if not, I will
comment more, to explain the thread-safe problem with these functions if you
want or have to call them at any time...

About a sample, yes, you're right. By example, to stop DHCP client on a
netif, you can write :

struct netifapi_msg msg;
msg.type  = NETIFAPI_MSG_DHCP_STOP;
msg.netif = my_netif;
if (tcpip_netifapi(&msg)!=ERR_OK) {
  /* error handler */
}

>Out of interest, why was it necessary to define a new message type rather
than just using/extending the existing API message?

I think you talk about the netconn api? I thought it was better to avoid to
merge "connection api" and "network interface api". "connection api" is
something generic, but "network interface api" is "linked" with the port or
the target. More, it will add more fields in api_msg struct (if we have to
include all netif_add parameters in the struct by example). In 1/ in
comment#15, I even propose to add extra files to separate this part of the
code.

Thank you to comment that...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19347>

  Message posté via/par Savannah