lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #5863] Use of mem_malloc should be reduced

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #5863] Use of mem_malloc should be reduced
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:37:59 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, patch #5863 (project lwip):

Kieran,
I'm aware fragmentation is not the only possible problem we have ;-)
But as I see it, it's a problem I can't really test to see if it never
happens. If I have 2 devices talking to each other through TCP, if they do it
the same way all the time, I can be (quite) sure they can communicate, say,
for 10 years without errors. But I can't test if the memory fragments during
this period or not, can I?

I will start with loopif (when working on bug 2595) and maybe dhcp, as SNMP
is not really pressing for me. For ethernetif.c, it's not really harmful as
this file is not compiled, anyway... To make a good example, the memory could
be allocated statically and given to ethernetif_init using 'state'.

But these are just ideas, I'm trying to get rid of the heap for my
application, so I'll be working on dhcp & loopif once I find the time :-)

BTW, sorry for posting this to patches, is there an easy way to migrate to
tasks, or does it have to be re-submitted?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?5863>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/