lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] [bug #19162] lwip_sendto: possible to corruptremoteaddr

From: Goldschmidt Simon
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] [bug #19162] lwip_sendto: possible to corruptremoteaddr/port connection state
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:18:52 +0200

> And so it wouldn't be the BSD API anymore.  And it wouldn't
> work for TCP.  And so on.  I don't think we should try and do

I'm not saying I'd like to try this. It's only that I think sockets API
lacks
performance because it calls netconn functions (especially for sending
on UDP
sockets, as that's implemented zero-copy at the moment).

I'd rather have the sockets API call tcpip-thread directly, but that
again
would mean redundant code. And while I don't think that would be bad
regarding
Code size (who uses socket and netconn API in one application?), it
would mean
maintaining similar code twice (and netconn API bugs might go undetected
as I
think socket API is the API more widely used).

So I'm not saying to change anything, right now. But as I said, I'd like
look into the performance gain for sockets API on this and if it's big,
we can
talk about this again...

> this.  If people want a higher performance zero-copy API,
> we've got one in the form of our raw API.

Are you saying to drop netconn API? I'd that like since I don't use id,
but
talk to Jonathan about that ;-)

Simon